SaskDelta's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saskatchewan's New Tobacoo Reduction Plan

+2
XeroState
Omega_5
6 posters

Go down

Saskatchewan's New Tobacoo Reduction Plan Empty Saskatchewan's New Tobacoo Reduction Plan

Post by Omega_5 2009-12-06, 00:12

I posted this on Sportriders as well... considering this is a Sask based forum, I figured it was appropriate.

http://www.gov.sk.ca/news?newsId=69caf699-a9b3-4504-999c-d7be08c1dac6

MINISTRY OF HEALTH ANNOUNCES NEW TOBACCO REDUCTION MEASURES FOR SASKATCHEWAN

The Ministry of Health is investing $1 million per year for three years for a comprehensive tobacco strategy for Saskatchewan with particular focus on protecting children and youth. As part of the government's strategy for a healthier province, new legislation has today been introduced to:

1. Prohibit smoking in a vehicle when a person under the age of 16 is present;
2. Prohibit tobacco use on school grounds and smoking in enclosed common spaces of multi-unit dwellings;
3. Prohibit tobacco sales in pharmacies;
4. Prohibit the sale of flavoured little cigars;
5. Prohibit tobacco or tobacco-related products from being visible to the public from outside of a retail premise;
6. Prohibit the use of outdoor signs that advertise or promote tobacco or tobacco-related products; and
7. Add regulatory making authority to create smoke-free spaces around doorways, windows or air intakes of enclosed public places; create regulations for indoor signs that indicate the price of tobacco and tobacco-related products at a retail premises; and exempt prescribed signs and items from the restrictions on tobacco advertising and promotion.

"Although Saskatchewan's tobacco use rates have stabilized over the last two to three years, our rates remain high," Health Minister Don McMorris said. "We are committed to reducing tobacco use in this province. We know tobacco use is a significant cause of preventable death in Canada and we want our residents to have long, healthy and productive lives.

"I have asked the ministry to examine options for tobacco reduction initiatives that support the goals of prevention, cessation and protection. Discussions with stakeholders have been ongoing since the budget was announced to develop a co-ordinated provincial tobacco strategy for Saskatchewan."

Other priority actions for the strategy are being determined through discussions with key partners.

For more information visit www.health.gov.sk.ca.
Omega_5
Omega_5
The Foundation
The Foundation

Back to top Go down

Saskatchewan's New Tobacoo Reduction Plan Empty Re: Saskatchewan's New Tobacoo Reduction Plan

Post by XeroState 2009-12-06, 01:21

5 is already a laws not sure why they have to add it again.

Tobacco products must be hidden, at all times, from the public eye. I worked in Customer Service of a grocery store (which is where the smokes are) and we had very strict orders that the covering doors must be closed at all times when not getting tobacco or re-stocking it. Key-word is "public" eye, meaning both inside the store premise and outside.

Part of 7 is already a law as well. You cannot smoke within 55 feet (I think) of any public entrance to a public building. Though they are adding the window/air duct thing to it.
XeroState
XeroState
Members
Members

Back to top Go down

Saskatchewan's New Tobacoo Reduction Plan Empty Re: Saskatchewan's New Tobacoo Reduction Plan

Post by tombstonex 2009-12-06, 08:59

Man they are going way over board.. they are sure making smokers work for there smokes... And the flavored cigars.. THIS IS OUTRAGIOUS!
tombstonex
tombstonex
Members
Members

http://binaryinc.ath.cx

Back to top Go down

Post by Omega_5 2009-12-06, 13:27

XeroState wrote:5 is already a laws not sure why they have to add it again.

Tobacco products must be hidden, at all times, from the public eye. I worked in Customer Service of a grocery store (which is where the smokes are) and we had very strict orders that the covering doors must be closed at all times when not getting tobacco or re-stocking it. Key-word is "public" eye, meaning both inside the store premise and outside.

There was some swapping changes to that.
Hidden... not hidden...
I think it currently sits at not hidden, as the gas station I go to doesn't have them covered.

tombstonex wrote:Man they are going way over board.. they are sure making smokers work for there smokes... And the flavored cigars.. THIS IS OUTRAGIOUS!

Yeah, that one is a bit overboard.

I think the main point, I'm glad to see is #1, #2, and the addition to #7.
Omega_5
Omega_5
The Foundation
The Foundation

Back to top Go down

Post by denlou 2009-12-06, 14:00

As a smoker, I'm really not upset to see any of these laws. Though I am suprised that there are enough left winged, granola eatin', tree huggin, seagull kissing hippies in this province to actually pass laws like this.

denlou
Members
Members

Back to top Go down

Post by Flatgod 2009-12-10, 01:13

I smoked for 8 years. Quit when I quit workin at the bar. Happier now that I quit, it's too much of a pain the ass to smoke anymore. With all the regulations why don't they just say "In 3 years Tobacco will no longer be availiable to the public" and get it over with.
Flatgod
Flatgod
Members
Members

Back to top Go down

Post by ßlåçk§mókè 2009-12-10, 02:38

Flatgod wrote:I smoked for 8 years. Quit when I quit workin at the bar. Happier now that I quit, it's too much of a pain the ass to smoke anymore. With all the regulations why don't they just say "In 3 years Tobacco will no longer be availiable to the public" and get it over with.

i used to smoke in highschool during exams but i quit back in 2001, started again in 03 quit again and havn't been back in almost 6 years.

It doesn't bother me in any way, but if they do this, they better make sure the law is enforced for the people that should be enforcing it.
ßlåçk§mókè
ßlåçk§mókè
The Foundation
The Foundation

Back to top Go down

Post by denlou 2009-12-10, 14:37

Flatgod wrote:I smoked for 8 years. Quit when I quit workin at the bar. Happier now that I quit, it's too much of a pain the ass to smoke anymore. With all the regulations why don't they just say "In 3 years Tobacco will no longer be availiable to the public" and get it over with.

Because if I want to smoke ash, tar, cyanide, embaling fluid or whatever they're putting in those things these days and die by at the ripe old age of 55, that's my right as long as the companies that make them want to sell them to me.

denlou
Members
Members

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down