SaskDelta's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How To: Paint YOur HeadLights

3 posters

Go down

How To: Paint YOur HeadLights Empty How To: Paint YOur HeadLights

Post by boostdbalt 2009-12-16, 02:17

For Starters You must either
1.Take the lights out of the car, or 2.Purchase a second set of lights... Method number 2 is probrbaly the prefered method but may cost a little xtra, reason i got a second pair is i may change my mind, and i needed the car... No car makes mike a unhappy person..

simple shots of the lights it self show there is not much to disassemble it.. the hardest part is heating up the entire housing and seperating the clear cover from the housing itself..

How To: Paint YOur HeadLights 0004_896132

I first removed all the lights and connections as well as the rubber sealent for the main high/low beam...

Basic tools are needed, Hairdryer (my choice), some people use a heat gun, but i didnt want tooo much heat created, a 1/2

extension, a few small straight screw drivers, two sharpe blades
How To: Paint YOur HeadLights 0014

You somehow have to heat up the entire Headlight assembly, i took the hairdryer and aimed it into the back of the high/low beam hole, and held it there for a while, even while i was prying appart the housing from the clear plastic i left the hair
dyer in there so that it never hardened back.
How To: Paint YOur HeadLights 0006

after seperating the Housings i started by seperating the case itself from the chrome suroundings to be painted, there are 3hex screws on the back of the housing to be removed...
How To: Paint YOur HeadLights Hexscrews

now with the hex screws out the reflector peice should come out.. and now you can remove the turn signal and side marker orange reflector..for the turn signal i used the 1/2 socket extension to push out the orange reflector..
How To: Paint YOur HeadLights 0010_449430
for the side marker i just used the trusted old fingers (no special tool required) to pop out the lense
How To: Paint YOur HeadLights 0012

with everything dissasembled it should look something like this.
How To: Paint YOur HeadLights 0002

now that everything has been disassembled the hard work stars (yeah get ready for alot of beers and many headaches) tools for the job as well as i tired a dremal for a bit, but it heated up the sealent and then cause the dremal is going so fast it shot hot (i mean HOT) sealent everywhere....
How To: Paint YOur HeadLights Cleanthat

Scrape as much of the sealent away as possible, it will probrably get to the point where you cant take any more and just give up and say its enough, well it prorably is, just use alot of silicon when sealing back up again...
How To: Paint YOur HeadLights Cleanthat1

you should try and get as much off as possible in order to ensure a correct seal when you put everything back together (no leaks)

i taped off all areas that i didnt want the paint to go, inside the turn signal and around the high/low beam.... with painters tape (less sticky, and does not leave any residue when removing after painting has dried)...
How To: Paint YOur HeadLights DSCN1585

now when putting it all back together just reverse the disembly procedure but remember you need to go get orange bulbs instead of the clear OEM bulbs... and when sealing black sealent is what I intended on using but my Anus of a father used my caulking with out asking and i had to use clear stuff from my work van (little hand held bottle of it, i used 5 in toatal to do it all, may seem like alot but there was a lot of waste, i was not about to shit my pants trying to squeeze out the last drop of caulking) for the finished result put back in car , and enjoy..
How To: Paint YOur HeadLights 0019_48048

Writer-mugencivicsi Info-css.net
boostdbalt
boostdbalt
Members
Members

Back to top Go down

How To: Paint YOur HeadLights Empty Re: How To: Paint YOur HeadLights

Post by dangerzone 2010-03-21, 19:23

sweet write up what kind of paint did you use??
dangerzone
dangerzone
Members
Members

Back to top Go down

Post by boostdbalt 2010-03-21, 23:04

not my write up got it from css.net but i have set of painted stockers black but i got 2nd gen projectors now i just used spray paint and clear coat
boostdbalt
boostdbalt
Members
Members

Back to top Go down

Post by SKCobalt 2010-03-22, 12:04

I'm not finished mine but I bought colour match paint from a paint shop and got them to put it into a spray can. I also bought primer to get the surface prepped as well as clear coat. I'll post pictures when I finish. It will be a little while since I have to wait for it to warm up because my garage isn't heated yet.
SKCobalt
SKCobalt
Members
Members

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum